Friday, August 9, 2013

A Trip for Two

Several years ago my sister in-law, Philana, and I drove to her cousin's home for a girls weekend in beautiful Monterey, California. We'd known each other for three years, but prior to this weekend, we  hadn't spent any quality time together. This trip was designed to remedy that.
She picked me up in the morning, and our three hour jaunt took us through sections of California's  scenic Central Valley and into the breezy coast of Monterey.  We talked about our families and our jobs, and short snippets about Gilroy's Garlic Festival, and our infrequent visits to Anderson's Pea Soup. Other than that, we drove in virtual silence. The silence had nothing to do with us not wanting to converse. We wanted to talk, but it was strained. What should we talk about? I figured the only thing we had in common was our connection through Laurence. The small talk was enough to get us there, but I honestly wasn't looking forward to the long drive home.
I'm so thankful that the weekend didn't continue the way it began. During those two days, we discovered things about each other that we might not have learned for several years. We had similar tastes in foods and restaurants. We cherished "alone time" and shared a healthy appreciation of what looked and feels best on our feet... we loved shoes! With her cousin Cheryl, we laughed at memories that they shared of their childhood and young adult lives. They filled in some of the questions I had about their family history, and assured me that my husband's "imaginary cousin" (as I referred to him) was in fact a real live person.
Philana and I left Cheryl's house in the early afternoon, had lunch, then headed home. The drive back was in every way different from the first.  We shared stories about marriage and family similarities. We talked about our homes, our husbands and our hopes. This time our Gilroy comments could be more extensive because the slight shift in our comfort zones meant we could share why we were or were not planning to attend this year's Garlic Festival.  One of us even found out that although Anderson's Pea Soup has no bacon in it, a true vegetarian would do well to avoid their potato soup, being that it's really clam chowder!

There was only one thing wrong with the drive home: It went by too quickly.

That's the thing about life. It's a journey, a trip. A trip best traveled in groups of two or more. The journey can be made alone, but why? I like "Me time" but I have no desire to spend my life alone.  Too much ME time means not enough You time. Too much Me time means I don't get the privilege to discover who YOU are. Traveling alone makes the journey monotonous and long. Traveling with a friend brings us to our destination that much faster.
Here's how I see it: Life is about relationships. If we were meant to journey alone, God could have put us on our own little planets and left us there to figure it all out.  But that's NOT what He did. He gave us parents, children, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, neighbors, co-workers and in-laws so that we can cultivate meaningful relationships.
When I invite others to join my journey, or when I step on to the path of another person's journey I don't always know where the road is leading, or when it will end. That puts me in a vulnerable place, so I'm sometimes hesitant. It's okay though, because not knowing the ins and outs makes it the ultimate adventure! Relying on another human being is a part of the ride. It's vital that I experience the journey with someone! The discoveries I make are not just about me. I'm learning that in matters of life and death, I have an opportunity enhance a fellow traveler's experience, which means my journey is also being enhanced.
Looking back on the weekend with Philana makes me smile a lot, and weep a little. I smile because I remember how our friendship began. I weep because we didn't spend another girl's weekend together before she passed away. But I am reminded of Steven Curtis Chapman's song, Not Home Yet (!).  I'm thankful that part of my journey was shared with my friend Philana. And when the time comes and this leg of the journey ends,  I'll begin a new journey with Jesus.  That journey will also include Philana. We have a lot of laughing to catch up on!

















No comments:

Post a Comment